The scariest part of finding out I was pregnant with my first, was knowing what items I needed. You can ask around to friends, coworkers and even your own mother and all will overwhelm you with that massive list of baby must haves! I use to carry a list in my purse, so when anyone suggested something, I’d add it right on. After having him, I started to realize I didn’t use more than half of the items I had purchased! (Pictured below was just half of what I had for him!) So I have come up with a small list of must haves for Moms to Be!
1. Swaddlers– These basic cloths that wrap your child up like a burrito, are simply amazing. My son loved feeling all wrapped up, warm and cozy. I know there are tons of swaddlers to choose from but I made it simple and affordable. I went to Walmart and purchased a 4 pack of some stretchy baby blankets and he loved it just the same! Honestly, unless you really want to buy them, I wouldn’t spend the money on the name brand swaddlers. These worked great!
2. Burp Cloths– These are a must have! It will seem like your little bundle of joy spits up more than they even ate! Your going to ask yourself where in the world they stored all of this in there tiny little belly! When shopping around, you will find a huge range of prices. One tip that I can share with you: skip over all those pricey and thin burp cloths! You don’t need to make spitting up a fashion statement. Invest in Gerber Cloth Diapers. Might sound strange at first, but trust me, I know what I am talking about from experience! My mom introduced them to me and I know so many other Moms out there are doing the same! These cloth diapers are soft to the touch, easy to clean and they dry faster than most of the cloths out there! I purchased them at Walmart as well for $12 for a pack of 10.
3. Pacifiers– Now even though both of my boys couldn’t stand pacifiers starting around the age of 1 month, they still loved the Soothie pacifiers. These pacifiers are typically given to you at the hospital after you give birth. I ended stocking up on them! I got 3 packs of 2 so I would always have a back up. You will always end up losing one unexpectedly! These are very reasonable in price and the quality of them is excellent!
4. Newborn Sleeper Gowns-I love these adorable pieces of itty bitty clothing! My sister took one look at these adorable Pj’s and said, “Why is he wearing a dress?”. Well they are definitely not dresses but they do look just as cute! These pajamas make it easy for the baby to slip their legs in and out for comfort. Not only this, but can I just say how easy it is to change their diapers? You have no snapping or zipping, just slip it right up!
5. Bouncer– In the picture below you can see that my son would pass out as soon as he would hit that bouncer! He wasn’t much of a swinger, he hated them! So as you can imagine, this was a life saver! You don’t even need to stick with the pricey ones because they all serve the same purpose. The hardest part is picking which color you want!!
6. Bassinet– The bassinet that I purchased had music and vibration included. This was amazing! The rhythmic vibrations, and the sweet lullaby, along with being swaddled, was the perfect combination! Underneath the bassinet was the perfect amount of storage that I could hold extra pacifiers, breast pump, diapers and wipes. Putting his bed next to mine made a lot of my worries disappear. I could easily sneak a peek at him to make sure he was alright!
The one thing that can be tough is having a picky baby! Some people will suggest buying pacifiers, bottles, booties, hand mittens and so much more. There are children like mine who despised all of that! They would slip off their booties and hand mittens. Just because people suggest something doesn’t always mean your baby will want to use it. The best thing I did was purchase one of each item (when I had my second son) to see if he would even use them.
What were some of your favorite baby items when your child was born?